Couplings are used to link and transfer energy from a power source (motor) to a driven piece of equipment (pump). A mechanical coupling is a mechanism which provides linkage connecting both items.
This course covers the function of the various types of couplings, the selection of the correct size of coupling for the speed of rotation and the power of the motor, and the assembly and disassembly of couplings using schematic diagrams and established safety standards.
Topics covered in this course include:
- categories of couplings;
- criteria for selecting a coupling;
- disassembly and assembly procedures;
- causes of coupling failure;
- troubleshooting hydraulic couplings;
- inspection, cleaning, alignment, and lubrication of couplings;
- tightening the torque of a coupling; and
- suggestions for practical exercises.