This short course is part of an Edumine blended learning program that integrates online learning with classroom sessions by industry specialists.
Investing in mining is profitable. We bring together three experts in mining who will provide you with the strategies to determine what the company you invest in is worth, predict the price of the metals mined, and recognize the risks.
Edumine brings you in a single day, three short courses by mining specialists on three aspects of making money by investing:
- Evaluation of Mining Companies
- Forecasting Commodity Prices
- Understanding the Risks
By the end of the day, you will have sufficient understanding of what a mining company is worth and how much profit it will make as commodity prices rise.
The three short courses will enable you as an investor, to identify potentially profitable mining ventures that match your risk profile.
Evaluation of Mining Companies by Brian Tang and Sid Rajeev
The first part of the course provides an introduction to securities analysis and valuation for the ultimate purpose of making an investment decision as it relates to mining stocks, and more specifically, junior mining. Topics covered include:
- Analysis (geological, qualitative, risk, industry, financial)
- Valuation Methods (cash flow, real options, relative)
- Interpreting the Results (red flags, sensitivity, decisions)
Forecasting Commodity Prices by Brian Tang and Sid Rajeev
Whatever your reasons - hedging, speculating or arbitrage - this part of the course will introduce you to methods with which you can make your own forecasts about the direction of future commodity prices. It deals with fundamental and quantitative analytical methods and basic statistical methods to forecast commodity prices.
Understanding the Risks by Jack Caldwell
Many people have made lots of money investing in mining ventures by recognizing the risks involved in finding an ore body, confirming the extent of resources, permitting a new mining operation, constructing the support facilities, operating the mine, and finally closing it successfully. There are also related risks from geopolitical and labor issues, as well as mining scams and investment "bubbles". The author will:
- describe the various phases of mining so that you can better evaluate the risk of investing;
- discuss technical, social, geopolitical, and financial factors that influence mining investment risk;
- present case histories that highlight the risks and rewards of investing in mines.
Prior to the course, registered delegates have access to the online e-learning material consisting of three introductory courses titled An Introduction to Evaluation of Junior Mining Companies for Investment Purposes and An Introduction to Forecasting Commodity Prices authored by Brian Tang and Sid Rajeev and An Introduction to Mining Investment - Understanding the Risks authored by Jack Caldwell.
Certificate in Mining Studies
This course qualifies for one day of short course credit for the Certificate in Mining Studies (CMS), a continuing education program of accredited short courses, webcasts and online courses for lifelong learning in mining, supported by University of British Columbia, University of Arizona and University of Concepción. more details »
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Registered participants who attend the entire short course and complete an evaluation at the end of the course will receive a Certificate of Attendance, confirming the Professional Development Hours (PDH)/Continuing Education Units (CEU) earned. Please confirm with your employer and/or professional association that this course qualifies for CPD.
Who Should Attend?
This course is for those with the desire to learn enough to make wise investment moves in public stock markets where mining shares are traded. This course is also intended for seasoned mining stock investors who wish to take a fresh look at the basics of investing in mining stocks with a view to polishing up on, and possibly revising, strategies and investment portfolios.
Presentation will take place from 8:30 to 17:00, with a lunch break from 13:00 to 14:00 and 15 minute snack breaks mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
|08:00 – 08:30
||Registration and Breakfast
|08:30 – 11:30
||Evaluation of Mining Companies
||Brian Tang and Sid Rajeev
|11:30 – 13:00
||Forecasting Commodity Prices
||Brian Tang and Sid Rajeev
|13:00 – 14:00
|14:00 – 17:00
||Understanding the Risks
How to Register
To register yourself, click the ‘Register Now’ button and complete the online registration form.
To register on behalf of someone else, or to register groups of 2 or more, please contact us; discounts may apply.
Questions? Please contact Edumine: +1 604 683 2037 or email@example.com and we will get back to you during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time.
The full fee for the two day program is CAD 800. The fee covers the lecture, a comprehensive set of course notes, access to online courses, lunches and light refreshments. The fee does not cover accommodation.
Early Bird: there is a 10% discount if you register at least 30 days prior to the course start date. A 10% discount is offered for groups of 5 or more OR if you provide your Annual Edumine subscription User ID at time of registration. The maximum discount that can be applied is 20%.
The course will be held at InfoMine Inc, Vancouver, Canada, Suite 640 - 580 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC. Detailed arrival instructions will be sent to all participants 10-14 days prior to the commencement of the course.
If you need to make hotel reservations, we recommend the following hotels. Each hotel is within a 5-15 minute walking distance of the course venue and provides convenient access to transportation and 'Canada Line' rapid transit to/from Vancouver International Airport.
When making reservations make sure to ask for the "InfoMine corporate rate".
- Executive Hotel Le Soleil, named by Resorts & Great Hotels Magazine as "One of the Top 100 Hotels in the World," has been recipient of the American Automobile Association's (AAA) 4-Diamond rating since its opening. Executive Hotel Le Soleil differentiates itself with a unique mixture of stylish sophistication and old world elegance. Featuring 119 luxury boutique lodging accommodations, it is conveniently located across the street from the InfoMine/Edumine offices. Experience Copper Chimney restaurant's award winning chefs and enter into an exotic world of Indian fusion food.
The Hotel Le Soleil's website is: http://www.hotellesoleil.com.
- Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver: make yourself at home in one of the Metropolitan Hotel's 197 elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites. Enjoy the Metropolitan's 24-hour Business Center; fully-equipped Health Club with indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, and squash court; and the Diva at the Met restaurant, a AAA 4-Diamond rated restaurant featuring Vancouver's finest cuisine, celebrated Chef's table, and distinguished wine cellar. The Metropolitan has received a "4 Green Keys" rating through the Green Key Eco-Rating Program.
To book your room online with our personal InfoMine corporate rate link go to: http://private.metropolitan.com/VDZKNSEDL2.
The Metropolitan Hotel's website is: http://www.metropolitan.com/vanc/.
- Vancouver’s most art-full hotel, the Listel Hotel is a cultural tourist’s dream and a showcase for eco-friendly practices. Packed with original art, this 129 room boutique hotel boasts comfortable, contemporary furnishings and a perfect location in the West End, the city’s most eclectic shopping and dining neighbourhood. The hotel is also home to Forage, a pioneer in sustainable restaurant operations and home to Chef Chris Whittaker’s award-winning farm-to-table fare. Forage is known for its small plate dining and BC wine and craft beer on tap.
The Listel Hotel's website is: http://www.thelistelhotel.com.
- Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel: experience the modern comforts of the historic full-service business hotel located in the core of downtown Vancouver. Their West Coast hospitality will ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Discover true value at the Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel as they provide FREE Wireless Internet, Bottled Water / Tea & Small Business Center. InfoMine’s corporate rate includes $10.00 breakfast voucher, best available room at check-in, Day Pass to Health and Fitness Centre around the corner.
The Days Inn Downtown's website is: http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/.
For further information about hotels in Downtown Vancouver, see the following website: http://www.hotels-vancouver.ca/hotels/Downtown.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a short course registration form, you agree to pay the associated fees in full before the course start date.
Notice of cancellation must be given in writing by letter, fax or email and action will be taken to recover, from the delegates or their employers, that portion of the fee owing at the time of cancellation.
A 10% administration fee will be levied for cancellations made 4 or more weeks prior to the first day of the course. Thereafter, the following cancellation refund schedule will apply.
- Cancellation made more than 3 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: 70% of the registration fee is reimbursed.
- Cancellation made more than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: 50% of the registration fee is reimbursed.
- Cancellation made less than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: no reimbursement of registration fees.
Edumine reserves the right to cancel an advertised course on short notice. It will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible, but will not accept liability for costs incurred by participants or their organisations as a result of the course being cancelled or postponed. If a course is cancelled, fees will be refunded in full. Edumine also reserves the right to postpone or make such alterations to the content of a course as may be necessary.